At $893 million, liquidations were about 32% less than the 12-month moving average of $1.31 billion per month. Since the beginning of 2010, the special servicers have been liquidating at an average rate of about $1.08 billion per month.
In February, liquidations came from 93 loans. This compares to 168 loans that were liquidated in January. The 12-month moving average is 151 loans per month.
The average loan size for liquidated loans was $9.6 million in February. Over the last 12 months, the average size of liquidated loans has been $8.7 million.
The losses from the February liquidations were about $228 million–representing an average loss severity of 25.55%. This was down by more than 14 points from January’s 39.54% reading. February represented the lowest level since March 2011.
The February loss severity reading is well below the average loss severity of 42.92% over the last 26 months, and also below the 12 month rolling average of 42.27%.
Separately, the percentage of CMBS loans paying off on their balloon date posted their second highest reading since December 2008, according to Trepp.
In February, 61.6% of loans reaching their balloon date paid off. Only September 2011 had a better reading since the credit crisis began. That month the payoff level was 64.4%. February marks only the fourth time since late 2008 that the percentage cracked 50%. The 61.6% payoff number was almost 21 points higher than the January reading.
A big part of the surge was due to one class of 2007 loan paying off. The $500 million 9 West 57th Street loan was refinanced in February. That loan by itself represented 27% of the loans coming due.
In the News
- Lee & Associates Negotiates 126,000-SF Self Storage Sale
- Capital Gains Forecast That May Be of Interest Given The Results of The Election
- Public Storage to Save Up $1.9M in Annual Energy, Maintenance Costs With LED Lighting
- CubeSmart Closes on $560M Self Storage Portfolio
- Two Strong Self Storage Entities Join Hands
- Arthur Scalise, owner, Upton Self Storage, Go Minis Massachusetts - Worcester Telegram
- The Animal Side of Self-Storage - Inside Self-Storage
- Berkeley Point Capital Expands Financing Options to Include Self-Storage - Inside Self-Storage
- Masked Gunman Ties Up and Robs Self-Storage Manager in Sausalito, CA - Inside Self-Storage
- Five Star Storage implements Self Storage Manager at 8 Sites - Broadway World